Saturday, August 25, 2007

08-25-07 Joseph MacGarvey Olson

This is for Carole, Joseph's mommy, who lost her beautiful boy one year ago today. She is an amazing woman whom I've come to respect and admire tremendously. She can make me cry so hard with her heart wrenching honesty and laugh so my sides hurt with her irreverent humor.

~ ~ Beloved Son ~ ~

I loved you from before you were;
I loved you from the start.
I love you still with every beat
Of my pounding, breaking heart.

I hoped and dreamed and wished for you.
I prayed and screamed and cried for you.
If it had been a choice of mine,
I surely would have died for you.

I talked to you and sang to you
And hoped you felt my love.
I wanted you to stay with me
And not ascend above.

Alas, it came too soon for me
The night before your birth.
I laid in quiet solitude
As moon went round the earth.

Then in the silence of the night
Surrounded by my family,
I treasured your squirming one last time
As you kicked and played inside of me.

The dawn arrived with too much haste.
The time was almost here.
Soon I’d see your little face
And hold you close, my dear.

It was happening all too fast
I yearned to slow the pace.
Your sweet father held my hand
As I looked upon his handsome face.

With trembling hands and beating heart,
I touched your tiny toes,
The velvet hair on top your head,
And kissed your button nose.

I studied every part of you;
Your ageless image in my mind.
I wanted all the world to stop
And every clock to bind.

I didn’t want these moments to end
How could I say good-bye?
We’d only just been introduced
I wanted to know WHY?!

Beloved son, my angel dear.
Your time with us was short.
So bittersweet the memories
That pain and joy are hard to sort.

If only there had been more time.
If only you’d stayed on earth.
Why did you don your angel wings
So soon beyond your birth?

Instead of me, you hug the Lord
And giggle from angel’s kisses.
Jesus’ arms are where you rest
Until at last He wishes,

That I can leave and reunite
With the son I hold so dear.
My darling, precious, little love;
And my ears, your voice will hear.

Before too long I’ll see you again
And hold you to my chest.
Then at last my grief will fade.
My soul will have the perfect rest.

Until that day I won’t be whole
But He will help me through.
The One who lost His only Son
Promises forever to be true.

So play my love, beloved son,
And fill your heart with joy.
‘Cause someday soon Mommy’s coming
To see her baby boy.

1 Comments:

At 8/28/2007 11:17 AM, Blogger Mrs. Carney said...

Just read your poem on Carole's blog and I have to tell you, it brought tears to my eyes. The power of your words are amazingly true, and I hope they bring comfort to her as she remembers Joseph. As you continue to raise your child, I pray these verses will encourage you. Many blessings!

Matthew 11:28
Psalm 37:4

 

Post a Comment

<< Home